iLIVEx: The Ultimate Remote Linux Desktop for your iPad
StarNet’s line of iLIVEx solutions for iPad take remote X Windows to a whole new level of mobility. iLIVEx allows you to connect to remote Unix or Linux desktops and individual x11 applications at unprecedented speeds compared to other iPad remote desktop solutions like VNC or RDP products, such as Logmein.
Install the LIVE Server on your remote Linux/Unix system and connect from your iPad. For the ultimate in desktop mobility you can even resume sessions you initiated with StarNet's Windows, MAC or Linux desktop client solutions.
iLIVEx allows you to continue to work on your remote Linux/Unix applications whether you are in a conference room at work or with a wireless network on a commuter train going home.
With just 5 finger taps you can bring up your Unix/Linux desktop or an individual X application and work productively on your X applications from anywhere. Or you can redisplay the remote Linux desktop from your office workstation to your iPad and continue to work where you left off in the office.
What’s more, iLIVEx saves you money because it does not consume much data compared to VNC and other solutions. VNC in particular can burn through a 2-gigabyte dataplan in just 2-3 hours. iLIVEx would have consumed less than 100 Mbyes in comparison when performing the same tasks.
iLIVEx uses secure SSH tunnels and the connections are “persistent.” If you lose the connection to the remote host, you simply re-connect in seconds without losing any data. The same persistency allows you to switch to other iPads apps and get back to your Linux desktop to continue where you left off. iLIVEx even allows you to run applications on the server while your iPad and/or workstation is turned off.
- Speed -- Fastest remote Linux/Unix desktop program available
- Persistency -- Switch back-and-forth to other apps without losing data
- Sharing – You can share your Linux desktop with other iPad, Windows, Macintosh and Linux desktop users.
- Security – All traffic to remote server is SSH-tunneled
- Switching – Seamlessly switch your remote desktop between iPads, Windows, Linux and Macintosh PCs
- Purchase iLIVEx from the App Store here.
iLIVEx ($14.99) vs iLIVEx Pro ($24.99)
Here are the key advantages of iLIVEx Pro versus the standard iLIVEx edition:
If you want to move your remote Linux desktop and applications between your iPad and other machines such as Windows, Mac OS X and Linux workstations, you need to install the LIVE client on those computers. StarNet provides iLIVEx customers a free 6-month license for X-Win32 LIVE for Windows, MacLIVE for Mac OS X and LinuxLIVE for Linux workstations.
- Sharing – Pro lets you share your Linux desktop with other iPad, Windows, Macintosh and Linux desktop users.
- Projector Display – Pro allows you to hook up your iPad to a conference room projector or HDTV with VGA support and display your X desktop and applications on the big screen.
- Create new Sessions - -Whereas the standard edition allows you to connect to sessions you previously created from a workstation, Pro allows you to start up new sessions from your iPad.
- Purchase iLIVEx Pro from the App Store here.
Sound has never been supported in X Windows.